Tools to measure the abilities and potential of your current and future leaders…
Leader Engagement and Development System – LEADS TM
Leader engagement is one of the most important yet often overlooked opportunities to increase employee engagement in any organization.
Through years of research we identified a proven method to measure how well individual leaders engage their employees and the steps to take to improve their engagement skills. Developed and perfected with tens of thousands of leaders LEADS has been proven to increase leaders’ abilities to engage and retain their team members. This simple but powerful process will increase leadership effectiveness and team performance.
Highly engaged employees improve operational metrics:
Investing in Leader Engagement
Investing in leadership is the surest, quickest, and most complete business strategy on which an organization can focus. Leaders are the one driver that can change the quickest in terms of their influence on engagement. From a leadership perspective, it’s all about awareness of the engagement issue and the leader’s behavior in relation to the initiative. Hopefully no leaders come to work and say things like, “How do I break trust today?” or “How do I let my team down today?” And yet too many leaders are unaware of the little things they do that have that same impact.
The Impact of Leader Engagement
Since a leader has the most interaction, observations, and dialogue with each employee, this makes them the best person to talk about the employee’s career and coaching. Our research shows that more leaders could be having these conversations. It’s no fault of theirs, though. Most of them aren’t aware it’s part of their job. Others don’t want to make a mistake like overpromising to a team member that they’re going to get a promotion or a raise or training/development or anything they would value from a career standpoint because the leader isn’t sure whether promising such things is feasible, appropriate, or even within their authority.
Focusing on leaders gets results because those leaders already have the responsibility to improve employee engagement. Many of them just don’t realize that fact. Reinforcing that it is part of their job to improve engagement is the quickest way to achieve the result you desire. Only they can make team members feel engaged, important, valued, and so on. If you ask team members what they like about their leader, for the best leaders they begin with statements like, “They have my back.” If the employee needs something or they make a mistake, they know that the leader will be their advocate. These kinds of leaders drive engagement, not just in themselves and in their team members, but in other leaders as well.
LEADS Offers an Effective Set of Tools for Leaders
LEADS is an online system that includes a questionnaire, leader training programs, job aids and detailed reporting capability for tracking and accountability.
- Research-based online leader engagement questionnaire to measure leader engagement effectiveness
- Clear behaviorally-based individual leader and group reports
- Online action planning tool (for all levels of leadership)
- Team meeting guides (to help leaders effectively communicate results at the team level)
- Recommended leadership development activities
The LEADS Process
- 7-minute, confidential engagement questionnaire
- Measures: Leader engagement effectiveness, employees’ willingness to recommend their leader and a measure of organizational communication effectiveness.
Individual leaders would be able to access their results within 15 days after the questionnaire administration closes. The results are presented in an easy to understand format using the metrics (i.e. leader engagement index, willingness to recommend) and guided action planning steps allowing each leader to quickly see areas of strength as well as areas of development opportunity. Reports include statistical data and narrative (free response) information. Individual reports are available for leaders with 2+ responses. Your organization can select the number of respondents required for an individual leader report.
Group results. Your organization will also be able to review group data by demographic factors that are most important to you within 30 days after the administration closes. Some examples would be to analyze results by department, location, generations, performance levels, and tenure. Any attributes that your Human Resources Information System (HRIS) or operational performance system captures, can be used to analyze results.
- Meeting objectives
- Meeting tips
- Tactics to help respond to questions about specific employee engagement items
- How to start the discussion, share highlights of the results, and ask questions
- Share actions that will be taken (i.e. how the organization and senior leadership are going to use the results)
- Share personal actions and commitment to the team
Systemic method for driving action plan participation
- All activity notifications sent directly from TalentKeepers
- Instructions sent to leaders to develop their online action plan
- Reminder emails sent only to leaders who have not yet completed and submitted their plan
Easy to use online action planning form
- Prepopulated key metrics from most recent questionnaire administration allow easy goal setting for individual leaders
- Versatile action planning options including leveraging strengths, developing behaviors, inclusion of comments, and guides for developing an approach and setting SMARTER goals
Built in accountability
- Instant emails to the leader’s manager, when a leader has submitted their action plan
- Notifications to managers to review the action plans
- Status updates
- Participation reports available to track action plan progress at all steps
RQ – Retention Quotient
RQ is a 50-minute self-assessment designed to measure a person’s understanding of and ability to apply TalentKeepers’ leadership competencies – competencies that have been proven to increase employee engagement and team performance.
The RQ leadership assessment can also be used as a leader readiness indicator for employees who are interested in a leadership role. It provides employees insight into real-life people-management scenarios they would have to manage as leaders. The results are used to help prioritize the participant’s development plan.
Insight Multi-rater (360) Survey
Insight is a 15-minute leadership assessment that utilizes a 360-degree survey format to solicit input from individual leaders, their team members, peers, and their manager. With a total of 66 items, the content of the survey focuses on TalentKeepers’ leadership competencies related to effective employee engagement behavior. Survey results allow a leader to clearly understand how their own perceptions of these behaviors compare to the perceptions of others (e.g., team members, peers and manager). Valuable comparisons are drawn in those areas where the leader and the other respondents differed in their perceptions. Insight reports include a built-in action plan to promote development and accountability.
Need more info? You've Got Options!
Become a Member
Unlock member-only resources including the turnover cost calculator!
Have a question? Need a quote? Submitting an RFP? We’re here to help.
Attend a Webinar
Check out our On Demand and upcoming live webinars.
View our Brochure
Explore all of our employee engagement and retention solutions.